[MPlayer-users] problems playing back most dvd's

Charles Blackburn charlesb at summerfield-technology.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 04:26:39 CEST 2003

hi

I have a 1 gig duron, 376 RAM (avg free 256 RAM/420 swap), and an ide dvd drive.

The problem is, i am using oss for audio and gl2 for video (but the same problem occurs with other output codecs), is that when about 1/2 way thru a dvd it starts pausing/stopping the video as if it cant read the data fast enuff from the drive.

I get a warning saying sumthing like you pc is too slow to play this dvd etc, but if I rip the dvd to a divx I can play it fine all the way thru without any problems.
My question is, how can I improve the speed at which it reads from the dvd? because it seems to only happen when about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way thru a dvd disc. the first half is fine no problems whatsoever.

It's getting annoying bcus i have to constantly pause it and/or restart the dvd playback and seek thru the film.

If it's a case of a buggered drive, please tell me, but if there's anything I can do to help it would be appreciated. I've tried a -cache of 65536 and even tried going thru svga output and x11 and all sorts.

any help would be appreciated.
regards
charles