[MPlayer-users] Grabbing from TV input problems (audio related)

Vladimir Niksic vniksic at inet.hr
Fri Apr 18 19:00:44 CEST 2003

I hooked up my VHS over a coax cable to my Haupauge bt878 card.
Everything works when I watch something from the VHS on my TV card.

When I try to encode, the sound is encoded normally, but upon playing
the file, no sound is heard. What am I doing wrong? I use a loopback
cable from the TV card to the sound card (Soundblaster live! value).
Also, when I start mencoder, I can actually hear the sound from the
episode I'm currently encoding, is that normal? Also, the video encoded
is just fine..

This is the line I'm using with mencoder:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=768:height=576 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -vop
pp=lb,crop=720:544:24:16 -o output.avi

I know this is literally copied from the manual, but I also tried
different variations, and the result is always the same: the video
encodes just fine, but there is no audio.

Thanks in advance.