[MPlayer-users] mplayer and xine

Heiko Recktenwald uzs106 at ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Sun Apr 20 00:30:07 CEST 2003

Hi, I read Ardis messages why he wants to leave the project, doesnt want
to be the maintainer anymore, and besides that I understand such a thing,
maybe he even hates the internet now ;-), ok, it made me sad how he
compares mplayer to xine.

Well, I just did some tests with the actual FreeBSD ports collection
version, 0.9.20, and the first thing was to cry "ugly"...

Please, please, please dont try to copy the thing.

It is not bad, but besides the design, it crashed my (much too slow)
machine badly, the interactiv response is very slow etcpp.

It is not a bad thing, that there are two players around, even if one is
as "good" as the other, both support mpeg video playlists, thats most
important for me, with a switch.

There are many computer philosophies around, FreeBSDers vs. Linuxer etc,
less is more vs overfeaturism, spartanian design vs skins etc, I must
confess that I like the classical approach of mplayer more.

Bla,

thanks,

best,

H.