[MPlayer-users] problems with libpng and high cpu usage

Erhard Schultchen eschultchen at gmx.de
Sun Apr 20 14:36:35 CEST 2003

Hi,
I'm having two, possibly related problems with mplayer 0.90. First
of all, gmplayer complains when accessing the preferences menu:

| libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
| libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.5

this is quite strange, as I only have installed the following packages
(debian/sid):

| ii  libpng12-0     1.2.5-11       PNG library - runtime
| ii  libpng12-0-dev 1.2.5-11       PNG library - development
| ii  libpng2        1.0.12-9       PNG library - runtime
| ii  libpng3        1.2.5-11       PNG library - runtime

so, gmplayer can impossibly be compiled with a png.h other than
1.2.5-11. In fact, there is no other png.h than the one from 1.2.5 on
my machine - strange. libpng2 is required by quite a lot of packages, so
i cannot simply remove it. libpng3 is only required by one or two
packages, but removing does not solve the problem. Furthermore, ldd
(g)mplayer says:

| libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0x40022000)

is the only referenced png library. I used gcc-2.95, because IIRC sid's
Xfree86 4.2.1-6 is also compiled with 2.95 (although 3.2 is default).
I also safed mplayer's configure.log before it got deleted by make. It says:

| png.h : 1.2.5
| libpng: 1.2.5

Hm, what can I do now? Would appreciate any advises. I had a look at
png.h and, wow, this version table looks confusing :)

The second problem: When using gmplayer, playing any kind of movie
causes very high cpu load. Xfree uses up top 50% when running at 1400
MHz, plus 20% for gmplayer. Same movie, same settings, but using mplayer
causes a VERY better load, about 40% in total at 800 MHz (I am using
dynamic frequency adjustment, it is a notebook btw). Possibly this has
something to do with the libpng issue?

I do not need the gui to be happy, however I would like to watch movies
on the tv. That means using tv-out and closing the lid -- which
occasionaly makes it necessary to have mouse control. Therefore, I need
gmplayer after all. :-(

Regards,
Erhard

--
And I moved upon the face of the darkness and I saw that I was alone.
Let there be light.