[MPlayer-users] mplayer and xine

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Sun Apr 20 17:50:46 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:47:59PM -0400, Scott Hassel wrote:
> I have to agree. I find mplayer much more to my liking than I believe I
> will ever find xine.

+i prefer mplayer too.
+simply because i find it more stable... somehow xine is crashing a lot
more times for me than mplayer

+another reason is that it's not so convenient to use xine from the
command line :)

-but i don't think xine can't become better. they chose the
multi-threaded way, and i don't think that a bad decision. that's a
different decision not bad. and i like their plugin-based architecture
too. it's a bit inconvenient when i uninstall something ( for example
arts ) and mplayer refuses to start because it has been linked with
libarts. xine of course starts without problems.

+another plus for mplayer is that it plays a lot more from the more
exotic files ( like mov and wmv and rm (at least imho))

-a big minus for mplayer is the absence of dvdnavigation support. we can
argue about whether it's important to have or not, but xine has it and
mplayer not.

+oh, and did i mention the FANTASTIC telecine-remover/deinterlacer in
mplayer?

-and of course i'd like to be able to switch streams at runtime ( audio
tracks for example) as i can in xine, but that's an architectural
problem in mplayer(g1) afaik.

-and the library based approach of xine: xine, the engine is a library
(libxine) and there are various user interfaces which use libxine to
display the video( xine-ui, gxine, kxine). thisway it';s easy to create
language bindings, for example pyxine ( a python interface for example
), so creating a video player in python is a matter of 30-40lines :-).
did i mention that i love python ? :))

to summarize my opinion:
i prefer mplayer, but there are many ideas/code which could be borrowed
from xine to make mplayer better.

gabor