[MPlayer-users] xv playback causes crash

Thomas Koglbauer kogl.th at gmx.at
Wed Apr 23 08:24:38 CEST 2003

hi,

first of all my system:

P3 550 Mhz
256Mb Ram
Ausu P3b-f
ATI Radeon 7000 or Geforce 2 MX

linux:  Debian Woody and Gentoo 1.4_rc3
Xfree: 4.2 and 4.3

my problem is that everytime when i try to play movies with xv mplayer
causes a whole system hang up.
i tried the same movie with avifile and it works with xv. but it also
crashes playing vcd and dvd after some 4 - 30 seconds. the divx movie
always crashes after 8.2 to 8.6 seconds.

first the problem accoured with the GF2 card so i thought it is maybe a
problem with the card or the nvidia drivers. then i put into a ati radeon
card but the problem still is there. then i installed xfree 4.3 but it does
not help. at least i tried to move to debian but with the same result so i
installed gentoo again.

then i have checked my rams with memtest but they are ok.
i tried to make a bugreport using gdb but this is not possible because of
the system lock up.

are there any bios settings that can cause such a crash?
i hope you can help me to debug this things.....

regards,
Thomas Koglbauer
AUSTRIA