[MPlayer-users] Microsoft licenses Windows media formats for Linux

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Apr 23 10:31:46 CEST 2003

Hmmm. Please note that according to news about this topic Microsoft does not
want to support open source or Linux directly (of course), instead, their
goals is to get market on embedded systems using Linux OS. They also want to
implement stupid protection and so on. Personally I don't want to use these
types of softwares (like Media Player: send information to Microsoft and
other ugly things). Also I can bet it can't give the wide range of video/audio
output drivers as MPlayer can ;-)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:00:50AM +0200, Balatoni Denes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> To my understanding 75% of that stuff is already reverse-engineered, and  than
> this just means that instead of the win32 dll loader mplayer could use dlopen
> (like for RV).
>
> On 2003. április 22. 20.40, Nilmoni Deb wrote:
> >
> > http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Press.jsp?mode=04-07-2003C
> >
> > Any ideas if this means anything to MPlayer ?
>
> Denes

- Gábor (larta'H)