[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder incorrect fps

Jason Pepas j.pepas at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 23 21:07:10 CEST 2003

ok, after playing around with it a little more, I have more information on
what is going on, but I still don't know why.

mplayer -dvd 1 -fps 29.97
correct playback

mplayer -dvd 1 -fps 23.976
incorrect - video lags behind the audio.

so the dvd appears to actually be 29.97 fps (its the sopranos season 1 dvd)

mencoder -dvd 1 -fps 29.97 -ofps 29.97
produces a constant stream of "duplicate frames" errors.

mencoder -dvd 1 -fps 23.976 -ofps 23.976
produces a constant stream of "duplicate frames" errors.

mencoder -dvd 1 -fps 29.97 -ofps 23.976
correct.

so my question is, if the source is 29.97, why do I have to encode to 23.976
for mencoder to not duplicate frames?

puzzled,
jason pepas