[MPlayer-users] menconder duplicate frames always (NODAEMON)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Apr 24 09:43:38 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 07:16:44AM +0300, Joonas Koivunen wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2003 01:12, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > This is totally useless unless you rented the DVD and you're in a
> > hurry to return it before the encoding finishes... ;) Two pass works
> > just as well (and does not take significantly more time) direct from
> > the dvd.
> actually with my dvd-rom (lite-on, very quiet), 3-pass's audio pass needs to
> be done from hd as the dvd drive is too lazy under linux to spin that disc up
> to 180-250 fps.. with some dvd's this drive has also slowed up video encoding
> process something like 5-15 fps.. not too significant with video but
> definetly with audio.

So let's see, you have two options:

1) Wait for vobcopy/mplayer -dumpstream/whatever to slowly copy the
   dvd to your hd, then do the audio prepass quickly, then do the 2
   video passes.

2) Do the audio prepass slowly from dvd, then do the two video passes
   from dvd.

Sounds to me like both take the same total time, but option #1 also
uses several gigs of hd space and puts extra wear on the hd....what a
great idea!! ;))

Rich