[MPlayer-users] VCD encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 25 02:12:20 CEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:13:32PM +0200, Christof Buergi wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. April 2003 16.04 schrieb Emre ERSIN:
> > mencoder /mnt/cdrom/CD3.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> > vcodec=mpeg1video:vhq:keyint=300:vbitrate=1200 -oac pcm -of mpeg
> > -o cd3.mpg -sub CD3.sub
>
> I most certainly would *not* do it like this. Not only is the result of
> the lavc mpeg1 encoder not high quality (the encoder is optimized on

This is false, it's very good quality. Not sure the rate control is
optimal yet (this means quality could be lower at same bitrate), but
it has nothing to do with lavc being optimized for speed. In other
words, it'll still be just as fast once it's working great for vcd.

> speed). It's not VCD compliant as well.

I think this is a matter of the mpeg1 muxer in mencoder not being
compliant; it shouldn't have much/anything to do with lavc. For
example, ffmpeg itself can make vcd's just fine.

> To create VCD compliant MPEG1 movies use mjpegtools. There is a script
> named "mencvd" in the scripts directory of mplayer, which is really
> helpful.

Yes, but it has lots of annoying dependencies and it's very slow. :(

Rich