[MPlayer-users] tmpgenc is better!?!?!?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 25 21:18:26 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:34:16PM +0200, Carsten Koch wrote:
> Wendy Tromp wrote:
> >I made this homevideo, with a sony (digital) camera, and i captured it
> >using adobe premiere, and then i encoded it to mpeg using tmpenc. 1 hour
> >and 8 minutes of film take about 700 mb. This is reasonable and I tried
> >to create divx with mencoder, but the quality is a lot worse. I have
> >played with options all week and I cannot get good quality divx...
> >Can anyone show me an example of what they use when they create divx?
> >I'd like to see that to work with.
>
> Same experience here.
> I have source material that is all-digital (from DVB-S).
> When I encode it with mencoder, I get compression artefacts and
> overall a much worse quality than, for example, when recording the
> same movie with an SGI O2's built-in analog composite video capture
> card and compress it to MPEG-1 with SGI's dmconvert. Even with a

Sounds like you're using bad encoding options or something... The SGI
encoder might even do lowpass spacial and temporal filters before
encoding to clean up the noise and make it compress better, too. You
should read encoding-tips.txt before saying lavc generates bad output,
since normally the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair...
:)

Rich