[MPlayer-users] video output problem

Bruce Park bpark79 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:18:56 CEST 2003

>From: Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>
>To: "MPlayer user's list." <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
>Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] video output problem
>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:09:06 -0500
>
>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Bruce Park wrote:
>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>I'm having a hard time trying to get gmplayer to work using GUI. The skin
>>and font have all been installed correctly and load perfectly. However,
>>whenever I try to load a video, I get the following message in a modaless
>>window.
>>Fatal Error: Error opening/initializing the selected video_out(-vo) device
>>
>>Here's what my config file looks like
>>=====================================
>>gui=yes
>>vo=xv
>>ao=oss
>>skin=Blue
>>cache=1024
>>=====================================
>
>Which config file is that a snip from? It seems there are several
>configuration files. From the manpage:
That section was ffrom ~/.mplayer.config.

>FILES
>        /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
>               system-wide settings
>
>        ~/.mplayer/config
>               user settings
>
>        ~/.mplayer/input.conf
>               input bindings (see '-input keylist' for full keylist)
>
>        ~/.mplayer/gui.conf
>               GUI configuration file
>
>        ~/.mplayer/gui.pl
>               GUI playlist
>
>        ~/.mplayer/font/
>               font  directory  (There  must be a font.desc file and files
>with
>               .RAW extension.)
>
>So, it would seem that mplayer (started without the GUI) uses settings from
>the "config" file, which gmplayer (started with GUI) uses settings from the
>"gui.conf" file, though I can't seem to find any details. I had noticed
>that starting "gmplayer" had some things set differently from starting
>"mplayer," and that editing "gui.conf" did what I wanted. However, I don't
>know if gmplayer ignores "config," or if it reads both files.
Well, if I remove ~/.mplayer config, it always uses mplayer(w/out the GUI),
even if I call gmplayer. Once I put this file back, then GUI is started no
matter which binary is called. This is because gmplayer is just a soft link
to mplayer.
Any ideas on the error message? I'm running debian and I'm using the tdfx
driver for the voodoo3000AGP.