[MPlayer-users] Re: tmpgenc is better!?!?!?

marcogi at libero.it marcogi at libero.it
Sat Apr 26 12:03:18 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:19:26AM +0200, Wendy Tromp wrote:
> yes I read that, and for as far as I can see it is only about the options
> under Encoding.
> The parameters above arereally helpful, and with these I can encode a minute
> in around 18 mb. I'd like to see it a bit smaller because my videos are 1
> hour and i want to fit one hour of video on one cd. I played with scalew and
> scaleh and that affects the size, but it seems to me that vbitrate has no
> onfluence at all.
> If i am correct, during encoding you can see the bitrate for video and
> sound, and for the sound it is 128 all the time but the bitrate for the
> video is around 4000, even though it is specified at 820 above. Why is that?
> I tried to change it to a very low value (20) and it had no influence
> whatsoever......

Quantizers have priority over bitrate, so if you set too much restrictive
qscale range vbitrate isnt onored.
Try with -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4,vqmin=2,vqmax=15,vbitrate=820,other_opts

I use mencoder to grab from satellite via bt878 analog card and I got
*exellent* results.

Hope this can help.

--
Regerds, Marco Gigante