[MPlayer-users] Fast road for subtitles (NODAEMON)

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Apr 26 21:37:50 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 08:27:04PM +0200, Midall wrote:
> Hi at all.....
> Please teach me the fast road to includes subtitles in my divx...
> I don't rip from dvd but i rip the avi generated by this command:
> mencoder -dvd X -oac copy -ovc copy -o grezzo.avi
>
> and aftter I use grezzo.avi as source....
>
> Please help-me and sorry for my english ://///////
> Bye
> Midall

Hi !!!!!

I affraid I don't understand what are you doing. With your command, you don't
get and divx file at all, but a mpeg2 file. If you want and divx file (may be
I must say mpeg4) and if you want rip to HD the dvd first (there was a thread
aboutthis recently) run first

mplayer -dvd X -dumpstream -dumpfile dvd-ripped.vob

this rip the dvd and all the audio and subtitles channels.

Then, If you want include the subtitle IN the divx file add to mencoder the
-sid # option:

mencoder -oac ... -ovc lavc -lavcopts ... -sid Number -o grezzo.avi dvd-ripped.vob

where Number is the  number of the subtitle language you  wish. I guess you
can use -slang too instead of -sid in this case you must try with -slang it
(or whatever the language you want) for example:

mencoder ... -slang it -o grezzo.avi

Now,  if you  wish  the subtitle  in  other  file, I  suggest  you to  read
documentation.html section 7.8 where you can  find who to get the subtitles
in vobsub format and a couple of examples.

Regards
--
Martín Pavón
martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar