[MPlayer-users] TV-in on the Radeon 7500 QW

Jim Russell mplayer at jimr.us
Sun Apr 27 06:18:16 CEST 2003

On or about Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 02:04:42PM -0400, Brian T Neltner wrote:
>  Capabilites: capture
>  Device type: 1
>  Supported sizes: 640x239 => 640x239
>  Inputs: 1
> ioctl get channel failed: Invalid argument
> ioctl get mbuf failed: Invalid argument
> Falling back on trying to parse playlist TV...
> ============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
> =============
> === If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
> ===

It looks to me like mplayer makes the same assumption that most software
that tries to add v4l support makes.  The assumption made is that all
v4l devices will support reading via 'mmap'.  The GATOS km does not,
it requires reading via an 'open' call.

If this is indeed the case (and I'm guessing, since I haven't actually
looked at the mplayer source for this yet), then the only way to make
this work is to rewrite the v4l code in mplayer to not assume 'mmap'.
I have a 7500-AIW that I use for capturing, and I ended up using a
version of 'nuvrec' that was hacked by the author of 'avidemux' to
handle the same situation.

Jim R