[MPlayer-users] Quicktime 6 sound with MPlayer 0.90

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Apr 27 18:22:25 CEST 2003

Brad Chapman wrote:
> I've just installed the falsehope Mplayer RPMs on my RH8 system in
> order to play the 58MB Matrix Reloaded trailer. The video codecs
> are working well (GORGEOUS video :), but I don't have any sound.
> I've played back other media files and it only happens with this
> trailer. I installed both the qt6 and qtextra video codecs and
> everything seems to be OK. What gives?

Puny 58MB trailer, huh? Hah, I have the 98MB one! :) It's friggin huge
(1000x540)! Actually, my CPU (800 MHz Duron) can't even play it without
dropping some frames, so I used mencoder to re-encode it with MPEG-4
video instead of Sorensen Video 3, which allows it to play nice and
smooth, with negligible quality loss.

I also could not get sound out of the trailer when I first tried to play
it. It turned out that it has AAC audio (standard MPEG-4), so I built
faad, then rebuilt MPlayer (I use Gentoo, so building is mostly
automated). I'm not certain that's the codec you need, though.

Jonathan Rogers