[MPlayer-users] Tearing with a laptop with a Savage IX video chipset

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon Apr 28 07:44:27 CEST 2003

Brandt Dusthimer wrote:
> Alright.  I've read all the FAQs, read the mailing list archives, and have
> tried nearly every combination of video output options.  Horrible,
> horrible tearing continues to occur on my laptop when I use mplayer.
> After spending countless hours trying to fix the problem and spending only
> a few nights in a dark room weeping all alone over it, I have finally came
> for help.

Your condition sounds dire indeed! ;) From what I understand, double
buffering (using two frame buffers, one for display and one for drawing)
is necessary to avoid tearing. XFree has a module called the
"DOUBLE-BUFFER" extension, which I've always had turned on.

 From my XFree86Config (for X 4.3):
---------------------------snip------------------------------
Section "Module"
         Load  "xie"
         Load  "pex5"
         Load  "glx"
#       Load  "dri"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "type1"
EndSection

I believe the "dbe" module is for the "DOUBLE-BUFFER" extension. I get
this line in my XFree log:
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER