[MPlayer-users] Process X using too much CPU

Dirk dirk2 at wor.net
Mon Apr 28 21:34:55 CEST 2003

Hello,

when playing videos using "mplayer -vo xv" the process X uses about
50% CPU (on an athlon XP 1800+) and the video quality is poor.

This did not happen before I upgraded my SuSE 8.0 to 8.2. Before, the
total CPU usage was less than 5%. I was using -vo xv because this was
the only -vo driver to use so litte CPU and giving such a good video -
no drops
no hangs - even when recoring withh mencoder at the same time and
the total CPU usage was at 95%.

I first assumed it was a driver problem (SiS 650 chipset), but the
developer tells me that it is working fine for him. I am using
mplayer-0.90rc5 before and after the update.

I also tried some other -vo drivers. DGA is working a bit better, but
still CPU usage of more that 30% and very poor video quality: Image is
ok, but it is hanging quite often.

I think that some other configuation (not mplayer, not X) on my system that
has changed is now causing the problems - but which one?

I have been spending a lot of time changing the XF86config-settings,
none helped, so far. Maybe changing some mplayer option could
help. And can anyone tell me what could make the process X use so much
CPU - what is it doing at all?

I would appreciate any help, because I am a bit desperate - I already
have spent so much time in this...

Thank you very much,

Dirk

P.S. Also many thanks to everyone working for mplayer, it has been
working great - and I hope it will again!