[MPlayer-users] Fast recompress

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Sat Aug 2 17:09:48 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> I think you misunderstand. What Gianci wants *is* maximum quality
> encoding, by avoiding the reencode step. It's like -ovc copy, but with
> limited reencoding for parts that need it (like the very beginning, if
> you don't want to begin at a keyframe, or for edits around commercials
> when you're removing them). You could also imagine uses like removing
> an ugly watermark or other tv-station/release-group crap (what's the
> diff; they're both thugs :), and only reencoding the frames where it
> was visible.

AFAIK the "Fast recompress" setting in Virtualdub means that instead of
Decoderoutput -> RGBConversion -> Filter -> Codeccolorspaceconversion -> Encoderinput
it skips the conversions and the filters, i.e.
Decoderoutput -> Encoderinput

Since the mplayer filters process data in YUV space and not in RGB
space, I don't think we need an option like that, because if you don't
specify any filters the data is not converted in any way (unless the
input/output codecs colorspaces don't match).

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits