[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder/crop => image distortion

ROED,HAAVARD (HP-Norway,ex1) haavard.roed at hp.com
Mon Aug 4 14:28:44 CEST 2003

> From: D Richard Felker III [mailto:dalias at aerifal.cx]
[...]
> Read the other post I just wrote to this thread. It's an issue with
> the fact that people are storing mpeg4 in avi container, and how other
> players handle avi files.
>
> > Now, to further explore this issue, I note that the ability to add this
tag
> > is valid only when using libavcodec mpeg4 (DivX 4/5 only?). Which I'm
not -
> > I'm using XViD, thus I stick to my previous "conclusion"; that #3
> > (rescaling, changing aspect) is a bad choice (when not using
libavcodec).

(Issue with ref section 7.9 of the DOCS)

I haven't seen any comments on this; is it possible to rescale, encode with
XViD and then store the correct aspect in the container? Either in the mpeg4
header, or in the XViD codec headers (yes, I know it was never intended for
that). For MPlayer and any future players supporting this, I mean...

And also, I'm confused with the fact that only mpeg4 encoded with libavcodec
support the mpeg4 aspect tag. Since XViD is in mpeg4 format, and the mpeg4
aspect is ofcourse stored in the mpeg4 header, couldn't movies encoded with
XViD also store an aspect value there? Is XViD only "mpeg4-ish" in the mpeg4
header?

What I'm really asking, I guess, is "How do I preserve aspect ratio with
XViD?".

regards,
Haavard