[MPlayer-users] Fast recompress

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Aug 4 23:37:28 CEST 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 17:14, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Virtualdub works at a higher level where it does not have access to
> Motion Vectors and it does not have a builtin encoder to which it could
> feed such data if it had access to it. (Unless the implemented that in
> newer versions, which I doubt)

OK, that shows my ignorance about vdub (like most other modern WinXX progs).
;-) However, I find the idea of reusing motion vectors interesting (I know
there are dozens of DVD-copier progs which do so - while they all sell two or
three different backend engines under new names), although I must admit that
re-using stuff like that sounds to me like introducing new sources of
errors/inaccuracies which probably reduce the movie's quality.

I am happy with mencoder/ffmpeg, except that they are not yet capable of
creating SVCD-conform MPEG2 streams (which would be useful 'cause most
current standalone DVD players have - at best - big problems with MPEG4).*

--
Ciao, /  /
     /--/

*: I know the mencvcd-way but the resulting quality is much too low to justify
its sloooooooooooooooooooooowness. ;-/