[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: Display is cut in half using xv

Dan8827 dan8827 at snet.net
Wed Aug 13 02:22:47 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 11:54, Dimitar Haralanov wrote:
> I have the Rage 128 Mobility... I have not been able to figure out whether
> Mandrake 8 and Mandrake 9 have different drivers.

> Has anyone else experienced this problem with Rage128 cards?

I have a Rage Fury Pro card.  I'm running Redhat 8.0 and the GATOS ati.2
(official releases, not cvs) driver.

Redhat 8.0 recently released an update to XFree86, and installing it
overwrote the GATOS driver.  I gave mplayer a try under the stock
driver, to see what I was missing, and I from what I remember, I ran
into this "half screen" problem.  (This would have been with xv.)  I
immediately went back to the GATOS drivers, and the problem went away,
so I can't give you too many specifics, mplayer output, etc.

I have this half screen problem with xvidix, however, but have found a
work-around.  Normally I use -vo xv, but when I have a video that's too
much for my slow machine, I'll su to root, and play it with xvidix.  If
I do that, I get the "half screen" display.  However, by playing a video
as non-root and using -vo sdl, switching mplayer output to full screen,
then quitting, then using -vo xvidix as root, the half screen problem
goes away.  (Until I use -vo xv as non-root again.)

Don't know why this happens, or why the work-around works, but it does.

For those with ATI cards, more info on the gatos drivers here:

http://gatos.sourceforge.net/

--
dan8827
dan8827 at snet dot net