[MPlayer-users] Problem with mencoder

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 13 14:55:59 CEST 2003

mslama at email.cz wrote:
 > I use mplayer complied from CVS snapshot MPlayer-20030812 (FFMPEG 0812). I want to
 > encode some vobs from DVD. First pass seems ok.
 >
 > cat *.vob | nice -+19 mencoder -aid 128 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o frameno.avi -
 >
 > (some frames are skipped)
 >
 > When I start second pass to encode video
 >
 > it stops around 0.4s and always creates short piece. A lot of skipped frames:
 > [...]

I encountered the very same problem with some DVDs titles.
The symptom is that mencoder seems to skip every second
frame.  I tried various things to find out what exactly
was causing it, but without success.  It must be a bug in
the A/V synchronisation code.  It happen's only in 3-pass
mode, though, when you copy the frameno.avi audio into
the resulting stream using -oac copy, and only with _some_
DVD titles.

 > Is anything I could do to fix this?

Use 2-pass mode, i.e. don't encode audio separately.

Regards
   Oliver

"Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.  Unfortunately
they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming."