[MPlayer-users] mencoder TV Capture - video buffer full

David Frey dpfrey at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 14 18:01:26 CEST 2003

>> After I run the command, I can see my memory usage rising quickly in
>> gkrellm.  Once the memory is almost all used up, this error is printed
>> over and over quite quickly "video buffer full - dropping frame".  I
> Try prefixing the command with "nice -n -19", to make sure mencoder gets
> all the CPU power it needs.  You should also make sure your hard drive
> has DMA enabled, as well as things like PIO, 66MHz IDE bus.  (See hdparm)
>
> If that doesn't work, you have some other, more serious problem.
DMA is enabled and I have an XP2400+ with no other large CPU loads, so the
CPU shouldn't be a problem.  This line here leads me to believe that there
is no encoding going on:
Writing AVI header...
Pos:   0.0s      1f ( 0%)   0fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.000 [0:0]

The error saying that the buffer is full follows this.  It seems like the
capture component is working, but the encoding part is stuck on something.

>> below.  I can view the TV using both mplayer and xawtv.  Another issue
>> is that once I try to start recording, the audio is played through my
>> speakers for some reason and then after I terminate the recording, the
>> sound won't stop until I unload the bttv module.  Any ideas?
> Easy solution.  Mute your line-in.
>
> You must have the audio cable connected from your soundcard to the TV
> card?  You should probably unplug it.  You say you have btaudio working,
> so you don't need it hooked-up.
My understanding was that the btaudio thing was only for capture, so if I
unplug the line from my soundcard to tv card, I won't get any audio when
viewing.  Having said that, I don't know why the card would be sending
audio data to it's line out while I was using the onboard capture feature.
 Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Frey