[MPlayer-users] Re: H.264

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat Aug 16 21:33:41 CEST 2003

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> I've noticed mplayer/ffmpeg have added H.264 support quite a while ago;
> I've tried it on a couple of freely available sample files (I've uploaded
> one of the examples to /MPlayer/incoming - ShuttleStart_8.26l), none of
> which wanted to work though -- I guess mplayer needs H.264 in some
> container format?

I've also tried to play some H.264 video with no luck. I would guess
that your sample has video only, right? I have a different sample that
also ends in ".26l". Mplayer's demuxer.h has type number 30, which is
for an H.264 elementary stream (ES), which is what I'd guess the samples
are. However, forcing that demuxer doesn't seem to help mplayer out.
ffplay (from ffmpeg) doesn't play it correctly either.

Perhaps the ".26l" files are in a slightly different format that
predates the finalized standard? I know that 26l refers to a deprecated
name for what is now called H.264/AVC.

Jonathan Rogers