[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with mencoder

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Mon Aug 18 17:38:56 CEST 2003

rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > I only use 700M CD-Rs, so the values that frameno prints
 > > are fine for me.
 >
 > I was actually refering to the fact that 700MB CDs really hold about
 > 703MB normally, and about 720MB with overburning.

Well, I tend to trust only what is guaranteed, and those
80min CD-Rs guarantee 700 MB.  Actually, the CD-Rs that
I usually buy have a safety margin of 12 seconds (i.e.
they can hold 80:12), which is 704.8 Mbyte when recording
with ISO9660 mode1.

 > > Even if they were not, I could easily
 > > calculate them myself, since mencoder prints the bitrate
 > > of the frameno.avi file.
 >
 > Of course, you could do the same, entirely without frameno.avi.

How?  When using VBR encoding, the final average bitrate
cannot be determined without actually encoding the whole
thing.

Regards
   Oliver

"In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton