[MPlayer-users] Re: Question on "trans-coding" with mencoder...

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 19 08:30:54 CEST 2003

Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> | Did you try to concatenate the MPEG files first, and then encode the result
> | as a whole?  That should work.
>
> I could find no tool within the last 4 years, which allows me to do anything
> with MPEG files within LINUX. But I found transcode (and later
> mplayer/mencoder), and both allow working with AVI.
>
> Therefore a clear answer: NO.
> I converted both parts into AVI first, and then I used what I have to proceed,
> this are parts of transcode and/or mplayer.

Is there a *nix tool to concatenate MPEG Program Streams? Here's a clear
answer: YES. It's called "cat." Read the manpage for details.
Specifically, codecs probably have to be identical between the files,
but they should be if they are from the same original source. You may
also want to check out MJPEG Tools, since they can do various things
with MPEG streams: <URL:http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/> (for the Google
challenged).

Jonathan Rogers