[MPlayer-users] Which TV card ?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Tue Aug 19 11:49:10 CEST 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Wieslaw Kierbedz wrote:
| clean (not distorted or noisy) tv signal, mencoder, 384x288 resolution,
| lavc msmpeg4 codec with about 1500 kbits/s bitrate, pcm audio
| I am afraid, PIII-800 is too slow for full resolution.

Only 1/4 PAL size? =8-(  This is not really useful, because when I blow up
these few pixels to a 16:9 65cm image on my TV, all I get is a bunch of
colored pixels, but no movie of good quality... :-/

Will it help to do it in two steps?
First to stream the raw-data to a file (or audio/video streamed into two
separate files, whichever causes less CPU load), and then finally convert
into a usable standard video format?

I have absolutely no experience with TV cards, so excuse my possibly stupid
question:
When the SAA4137 chip is detected by YAST2 (I am talking about SuSE 8.1/8.2).
Is everything done hereby, or must a tuner be defined separately? What I am
wondering about is why I get absolutely nothing displayed in the video frame
of xawtv and/or kWinTV. It is only black. shouldn't I see at least "snow", or
is this suppressed?

Could somebody leave me a brief description on how I can find out if my
"deluxe" Medion-Card is working at all?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch