[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with mencoder

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 19 15:23:57 CEST 2003

Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > Of course, you could do the same, entirely without frameno.avi.
>
> How?  When using VBR encoding, the final average bitrate
> cannot be determined without actually encoding the whole
> thing.
>
> Regards
>    Oliver

It's quite simple really...  I do the same thing when I want to use
Vorbis audio (and mux MPEG4 video into an Ogm container).

The way I do it, is to use mplayer to dump the audio to PCM, pipe the
PCM output through a fifo, encode it to Vorbis (or lame in your case),
then use "du -k" to find the exact (down to the kilobyte) size of the
file.  You just stick that value in the "AUDIOSIZE=" variable of the
bitr.sh script I sent (instead of the script calculating the audiosize
from the movie length multiplied by the audio bitrate).  Then, it should
give you quite an accurate video bitrate to use (if you want it REALLY
accurate, change the script to ask for movie length in _seconds_ instead
of minutes).

Rich already covered the 703MB CD-size issue, so I'll just say that I'm
not sure what you mean by "guaranteed".  CDs may not officially be able
to hold 720MB, but every last one of them can do so, and with the
exception of very very old CD-Roms, allmost all drives can read
overburned discs (and if they can't read to 720MB, they probably aren't
even able to read 700MB CDs anyhow--you won't see those old CD drives on
any systems fast enough to play Divx files anyhow).