[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Aug 19 16:46:38 CEST 2003

Hi rcooley,

on Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:06:14 -0700 you wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>

> Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> > o  Hardware: PIII-800, 256MB RAM, Asus V7100 PCI with TV-Out. Harddisk
> > is
> >    currently 20GB, so data compression should be done on the fly to
> >    save space.
> >
> > What I want to do:
> > o  Recording films from TV to harddisk
> > o  Recording must be in full PAL quality, quality shall be same or
> > better as
> >    with my (very good) Video-Tape-Recorder, without frame loss.
> > o  Sound must be in stereo (I was told that not every TV does stereo)
> > o  Scheduled recording (can also be with an 'at' command.
> >
> > o  cut out all commercials afterwards (or can some software detect
> >    commercials and interrupt recording automatically?)
> > o  burn the final file on CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.
> >

> > Any suggestion is welcome.
>
> You probably aren't going to have any luck trying to do the real-time
> encoding with mencoder.  I've found it's quite CPU-intensive.  The two
> programs I recomend you check out are NVRec...  The command-line program
>
> is nuppelrec.  It should be quite fast, although needing a great deal of
>
> hard disk space.  After that, you can convert it using mencoder in
> non-realtime.  I decided against using it, because the quality isn't as
> good as I would like, it uses a great deal of hard drive space, so
> recording programs several hours long would fill the hard disk I'm
> using, and because it doesn't support a res better than 640x480 for
> NTSC.  Personally, I would suggest spending $100 and getting a hardware
> MPEG2 card instead of requiring a major CPU to do a simple job.
> Software still isn't all that good at realtime tasks.

The nuppel video codec is avaible for encoding: -ovc nuv
It use the same codec as nuppelrec and is thus quiet fast. However
i never tried nuppelrec so i can't tell if there is a speed difference.

PS: I just noticed that nuv isn't listed by -ovc help. I'll fix asap.
	Albeu
--

Everything is controlled by a small evil group
to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.