[MPlayer-users] Encoding screen captures

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Wed Aug 20 15:47:30 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I've been using mencoder for quite a long time now, however, all I did was
to encode DVDs etc.

We are currently in discussion about codecs and formats to use for an Open
Source project where we want to provide training videos. These do only
contain screen captures plus some audio.

The thing is that one of the guys in our discussion tells me that he
compressed the files with the latest Windows Media encoder and got files of
about 830kB (!) while all I get with mencoder and mpeg4 (libavcodec) is
larger than 6MB.

How is this possible? I don't think that this is a gain of very good
compression. There needs to be something more - probably a very good motion
detection? If yes, can this also be done with mencoder?

Would be nice to get some hints. Thank you very much.

Regards - michael