[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

LGW large at lilymarleen.de
Fri Aug 22 14:30:26 CEST 2003

Stefan Seyfried wrote:

>And for your insane quality requirements ("Full PAL for displaying
>on a big TV"): i have yet to see a (CRT) television set, where you can
>visually distinguish a resolution of 512x384 from the bigger ones. I
>have not found such a tv yet.

I think you are absolutly right about that resolution stuff, I just
wanted to mention that I successfully (no frame drops, about 70% CPU and
-lavcopts vhq) captured full PAL with my Hauppauge WinTV PCI and my
2600+ Athlon to mpeg4 (lavc) with mencoder, so it is possible. But  one
should remember that the mpeg4-compression artifacts only get more
visible with a higher resolution, so  if one does not want to use
bitrates >2MBit, I would recommend using 512x384.

Anyway, the Hauppauge is one of the best analog TV cards available, I
think. Works great, and gives a really good image quality (espacially
when used with mplayer and deinterlacer). Sometimes I still use the
video-in of my Elsa Erazor III Video, wich seems to have a better
stabelizer (for weak sources like often-copied VHS...)

have fun,
  Lars