[MPlayer-users] Re: gtk2 and mplayer 0.91

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat Aug 23 12:32:16 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> I don't think mplayer's gui is meant to work with gtk2. IIRC, someone
> went and removed lots of broken/outdated/nonsensical options from the
> configure script, to force the Gentoo package maintainers to clean up
> that mess. The Gentoo package was enabling lots of options that simply
> did not work and that would produce a broken/slow mplayer...so it's
> probably best for you to just get mplayer source and compile yourself
> rather than using emerge.

It sounds like it was the MPlayer configure that was hideous and broken
and that it was the ebuild that forced the MPlayer's configure to be
cleaned up. If you build MPlayer yourself, you can fix the ebuild based
on what you learn. I've been following MPlayer CVS, so I haven't been
using the ebuild, but maybe I should look at it again to see if it still
works.

Jonathan Rogers