[MPlayer-users] reducing size of files while conserving the audio/video quality

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Sun Aug 24 15:21:53 CEST 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 15:58, Maximo Ramos wrote:
> You missed the part of my email when I stated:
>
> "However, I am very new at this, and after reading encoding.html and
>  encoding-tips.txt I still can't decide what options to use, like vbitrate
> for example."
Yes my bad, i read that after writing 99% of mail :)

> The thing here is that I am not familiar with those terms and acronyms,
> that's why I am writing to the list.
Ask about those terms, or better, google for'em. Many people have written faqs
etc. about video compression.

> mdb replaces vhq, right? but I was using mbd=1 because the manual says that
> it relates to vhq:
>
> 0    use mbcmp (default)
> 1    select the MB mode which needs the fewest bits (=vhq)
> 2    select the MB mode which has the best rate distortion
Well as I said, I haven't yet got time to play around and see what kind of an
effect this has (afaik mbd=2 is a new feature, and usually mplayer ppl don't
add anything worthless :). A lot of video compression is try->change
settings->try again until you are satisfied with the result.

> Trust me, I already read encoding-tips.txt, but I couldn't make any sense
> of it. :(
Then ask precicely :) It's no use if you cannot make anything out of it.

> "However, I am very new at this, and after reading encoding.html and
>  encoding-tips.txt I still can't decide what options to use, like vbitrate
> for example."
Hey, I bet there is some important bpp stuff in encoding-tips.txt about how to
decide on vbitrate (that is.. video bitrate).

> and it's in main/DOCS/tech/ directory.
Thanks, so it hasn't changed... I wonder what have I been reading :)