[MPlayer-users] Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Sun Aug 24 22:32:36 CEST 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 23:09, Martin Grim wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,
well how about the system load? IMHO the 2.4 series scheduler (i guess) caused
me some problems with some load (about 2), for example every 24th frame
getting dropped (on avg). But with 2.6.0-test3 (-test4 should have again some
improvements on scheduler side) it runs mostly smoothly.

The strangest thing is that everything worked better with pentium-II @ 333Mhz
with 384MB ram than with the newer computer xp 1800+ 768MB ram :) but 2.6.0
seems to be better.

Have you tried btw using just -vo xv as the video driver? You seem to be
running sdl.. Which should work better always.. But I really have no answer.
Let's hope someone of the developers or someone more educated reads this
thread too :)

One more thing came into my mind.. Enable framedrop and run mplayer & X with
for example -9 nice level. E.g. renice -9 -p `pidof X` `pidof mplayer`.
Remember though to make sure not to make any more important processes (cannot
remember any for an example atm) is running with a lower priority than
mplayer & X (especially x).

Hell I'm so fucking tired, hopefully english is readable :)

-rzei