[MPlayer-users] Re: [Fwd: gmplayer 0.9-1]

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 25 07:39:05 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 19:01, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > I installed a GUI version of mplayer (from the APC cover CD for August
> > 2003) and cannot get it to play properly. I am testing it on a promo DVD
> > for Harry Potter.
> >

> You're probably going to have to give more information, like the precise
> version of mplayer.

mplayer 0.90

> > There were three rpms to install, mplayer-common-*, mplayer.gui-* and
> > mplayer.skin.*. The install of them all at once, as root, went without
> > any errors being notified.
> >
> > I adjusted the CD preferences Preferences->CD Properties->DVD Run
> > Command which I ticked and then altered to /usr/bin/gmplayer dvd:%d
> > which apart from /usr/bin/gmplayer is the same as the entry that was
> > already there.
> >

> I can only assume you're referring to some desktop environment, like KDE
> or GNOME. I use Gnome 2 and I haven't seen such settings, but I mostly
> use the command line anyway.

Gnome 2. RedHat 8.0 You will find it under Preferences->CD
Properties->The click on the box DVD Run Command and then edit the
command.

> > When I insert the promo DVD mplayer starts up then gives the following
> > error: File not found: /home/graeme/dvd:dev/cdrom. If I remove the
> > 'dvd:' from the run command the behaviour is somewhat different. all
> > appears to be starting up OK but the about 4 errors flash up with the
> > last one as follows: dmux:File doesn't contain the selected audio or
> > video stream. I think at least one of the other errors is: error
> > opening/initialising the selected video_out (vo) device. If I then
> > remove the %d from the command leaving only the /usr/bin/gmplayer
> > command then mplayer opens but doesn't try to play anything.
> >

> The command to play the first title of a DVD is either "gmplayer -dvd 1"
> or "gmplayer dvd://1", depending on the version of mplayer. Make sure
> you have a device node called "/dev/dvd" that is (or is a link to) your
> DVD-ROM drive. Read the manpage or the HTML documentation in the link at
> the bottom of this message.

I believe that this is my problem. I do not have a /dev/dvd device. I
will create a link

> > The DVD contains two directories, audio_ts and video_ts. audio_ts is an
> > empty directory and video_ts contains files like video_ts.bup, *.ifo and
> > *.vop. There are no files in the root directory of the DVD.
> >

> Sounds like a pretty standard DVD-Video.
>
> > How do I set up the video_out device? What else have I failed to
> > configure correctly? and why is it looking in /home/graeme/dvd for the
> > video file? Is dvd the video_out device? There is no dvd device in /dev
>
> Depending on your video hardware and X driver, you may have to
> experiment with MPlayer's video out drivers. You'll have to read the
> manuals or give more detail. If you are uncomfortable with reading
> manpages or using the command line, you may find Xine more friendly. I
> hope recommending it here isn't sacrilegious, but it is more newbie
> friendly, though somewhat less flexible than MPlayer.
>
> Jonathan Rogers

Thanks for the info Jonathan. I tried to download a copy of the Docs but
was unable to find a downloadable file. Can you point me to one please?

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

God grant me the senility to accept the things I cannot change,
The frustration to try to change things I cannot affect,
and the wisdom to tell the difference.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only.                                                              -
- If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee       -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- is not authourised.                                                -