[MPlayer-users] Re: Question on "trans-coding" with mencoder...

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Mon Aug 25 10:21:26 CEST 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
| AVI files greater than 4 GB (or is it 2?) are not seekable. With such
| an insanely high bitrate (2100 for video), I would expect you're going
| over that limit.
No, I am below 2GB. I know about this restriction, and I try to keep below
this Limit therefore, because some players crash otherwise. But you are right.
Normally I use some value like 1600-2000.

| Read encoding-tips.txt for info on how to make a good encode with reasonable
| size. At the very least, you NEED -lavcopts vhq, and you probably need to
| crop too. Scaling vertically up to 540 is also a bad idea; you'd be better
| off scaling down horizontal to 640, or just storing the aspect in the header
| (-lavcopts [auto]aspect).

Can you, please, e-mail me encoding-tips.txt (rainer at hantsch.co.at) or leave
me a pointer to it?

| As for A/V sync, I would recommend NOT doing pass0 (the audio
| prepass). It's buggy, and maybe even moreso with concatenated files
| and/or -oac copy. There's no use whatsoever for it anyway, since
| you're just copying the audio. So if you try again, delete frameno.avi
| and skip that step.

?! Aehmm - You mean I start with doing the first pass ov video encoding
instead of extracting audio?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch