[MPlayer-users] Newbie question disabling run time

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Mon Aug 25 17:03:58 CEST 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:48:44 +1000
Raena Lea-Shannon <raen7 at ihug.com.au> wrote:

> I am wondering what to do about this message:
>
> Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
> To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection
>
> I have checked DOCS and Mail Search Archives.
>
> I installed MPlayer 0.90rc5-3.3 with rpm compiled for SuSE 8.2.  I am running
> an Athlon XP2200.
>
> 1.	Is it worth disabling runtime as advised  and if so

Depends, for optimal performance, yes. Depends whether you need the
additional 1-5% of more power.

> 2.	How is this done? (I am only used to recompliling when I have installed
> from tarball.) I have looked in man rpm and carried out some queries.

The rpms are always compiled with it because it isnt known on which
cpu the binary is run.

> Is there a -disable-runtime-cpudetection option for

No, it's the other way round, you have to enable runtime cpu detection explicitly.

			Attila Kinali
--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,