[MPlayer-users] Bitrates and File Size

Ethan John thaen at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 25 23:56:44 CEST 2003

I've been using this like for lavcopts:

-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=[whatever]:vqmin=2:vqmax=25:vhq:v4mv

Lately I've been adding trell and some other things suggested by
encoding_tips, but the problems arise no matter what. I doubt it's a
bug -- it's been happening for well on a year now.

> If you can't hit the target size, the ratecontrol has decided that this
> quality is enough :) -> "let's not waste anymore bits".
The reason I have a hard time believing this is that the movies have
noticeable artifacts -- seems like if even I can tell that the bitrate
isn't high enough, the encoder should be able to tell too. =- )

ethan john
http://students.washington.edu/thaen/
Apple Campus Representative
University of Washington
206.841.4157

"Every year a few brave programmers take a shower for the first time,
and are found dead in the shower a few days later. The bottle of
shampoo reads, 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat.' "
"The bug was fixed in version 1.1. It now reads, 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat
as desired.' "