[MPlayer-users] Re: chopping off credits

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Aug 26 06:25:27 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:35:02PM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >DO NOT CAT FROM VOBS TO ENCODE FROM HD! Either dump the dvd with
> >mplayer -dumpstream (so you get the whole dvd as one .vob file) or use
> >mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/your/vobs. But keep in mind, -ss
> >will not be accurate on mpeg files anyway, so you'll have to
> >experiment until you find the right time to seek to...
>
> I think that both "cat" and "mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/vobs"
> are usually unnecessary. I usually just use "mplayer dvd://${title}
> -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob", followed by "mencoder movie.vob ...".
> I guess some people might still be stuck with a 2GiB file size limit?

Well some people are hit by the 2 GB boundary, but I think a more
common concern seems to be that people have the DVD drive in their
useless windows box and rip it with some program other than mplayer
(dunno why; mplayer works on windows now). Or maybe they already
ripped the DVD as separate .vob files and returned it to blockbuster
and now they're trying to figure out how to compress it...? *sigh*

> Also, "-ss" is inaccurate, but "-endpos" is very accurate and works
> quite well for chopping end credits off.

Yep.

Rich