[MPlayer-users] [BUG] Lock up when resuming after long pause on removable media

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Tue Aug 26 09:11:26 CEST 2003

> No, the drive should spin up and continue. If it doesn't, your cdrom
> drive is defective... A kernel patch could work around the problem,
> but it has nothing to do with mplayer.

But then how come it works perfectly with everything else?  If, once it's
locked up, I open a terminal window and do something like "less
/mnt/cdrom/abc" it spins up and reads off the data as you'd expect.

The drive itself only spins up when it receives a read request, so it seems as
though mplayer (or something else along the way) isn't actually passing the
request on to the drive.  It just sits there idle until it gets a request,
upon which it spins up and reads the data off as normal.

That's why I assumed it was an mplayer problem, because it's the only program
that has trouble.

Cheers,
Adam.