[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Tue Aug 26 11:39:47 CEST 2003

> MPlayer's buffering strategy seems too brittle, since playback so easily
> becomes jerky. Xine seems a bit better in this area. Maybe some renegade
> developers from each of the projects should come together to produce an
> unholy hybrid. ;)

I have this thing with playing vob's from harddisk. As soon as you start
seeking a/v gets completely lost. I have a screenful of still "blocks"
for about 10 seconds, then video comes to live again but 5x speed, for
about 5 seconds and then video slows down to 1/2 speed for also about 5
seconds and than it has matched up again, finally.

This happens with almost every seek on vobs read from harddisk (!).
Using -cache helps a bit.