[MPlayer-users] Which codec is fast and good?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Tue Aug 26 16:53:39 CEST 2003

Hi, Richard Felker!

Currently I record with 640x480 pixels on an Celeron 1700. I am very close to
100% CPU load here, but I get a really excellent quality meanwhile.
Though there are some questions and i want to please you for your kindly
answer:

1. I get very close to the 2GB limitation of an AVI file even with a 50min
   recording, so it can easily happen that I exceed this 2GB. But then some
   players and/or editors will possibly make problems.
   Is there a way to tell mencoder to only create files up to exactly 2GB and
   then start a new one - on the fly?
   This means that an index is automatically counted up, so I'll get finally
   file names like:  video-000.avi video-001.avi video-002.avi ...

2. compressing audio in a second pass:
   Idea sounds good, but wouldn't that increase the size of files dramati-
   cally? Well, a harddisk of 20GB is surely no good choice for recording
   videos, but I will still prefer a on-the-fly processing whenever
   possible. And isn't it more complicated to cut a file with vbr audio?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch