[MPlayer-users] WMV videos (all?) crash on my system, MPlayer CVS 2003.08.24

zimon@iki.fi zimon at niksula.hut.fi
Tue Aug 26 19:06:25 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:54:19AM +0300, zimon at iki.fi wrote:
> All WMV-videos seem to crash on my RH9 (PentiumPro) system with
> MPlayer CVS version taken 2003.08.24 from MPlayerHQs. I also have
> fresh win32codecs.tar.bz intalled from MPHQ.

Solved. I noticed my .spec file for win32codecs.tar.bz was stripping
the DLLs when making the binary rpm so the DLL-files got corrupted.
Rather interesting strip(1) tries to strip MS Windows executables which
are not in ELF format.

Corrected. A couple fairly undocumented rpm tricks are there, mainly how
to prevent stripping and building a debuginfo package in rpm >= v4.x
< http://www.iki.fi/zimon/public/rpm_specs/win32codecs.spec >

//	z