[MPlayer-users] Mencoder encoding to mpeg2

mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net mail-lists+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Aug 26 23:06:16 CEST 2003

It's true - I also lurk on the ffmpeg-dev lists.

not only is it true, but it already appears to work...sorta.

Compiling mencoder/mplayer CVS with libavcodec out of ffmpeg cvs I can do:

-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500:vhq

(for example) in mencoder, and it appears to work.  On my system
(Athlon-xp "1800+", 256MB Ram, BT878-based capture card) it appears
I can capture with that line in realtime at 480x480x29.970fps without dropping
frames.

On the other hand, my personal interest in this is that I want a faster
(but still high quality) MPEG2 encoder for making SVCD's.  I generated
an mpeg directly with ffmpeg (mpeg2video, bitrate 2500) but after
demultiplexing, mplex doesn't recognize the stream so I can't make an
"SVCD-compliant" file out of the streams to burn.

(mplayer, as always, plays the stream fine, but then, mplayer seems to be
able to play just about anything - I figure at this rate in a few months
I'll be able to do "mplayer -vo xv /dev/random" and watch "Return of the
King"...)

So, encoding's there, and it's definitely WAY faster than the mpeg2 encoder in
mjpegtools, but there appears to be a little more that needs to be done before
it can be used to make SVCD (and DVD?).