OT!!!- Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: chopping off credits

antonovich anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 27 20:55:58 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 27 Aug 2003 6:35 am, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > I'm quite familiar with all that and it's stupid. They have no
> > legitimate authority to redefine terms, especially ones used in
> > someone else's field. Regardless of whether one accepts their horrible
> > "standard", your repeated use of "MiB" "GiB" ... makes it look like
> > you are trying to influence people rather than write something
> > relevant to mplayer.
>
> Some of us think the endless confusion caused by the conflicting
> definitions of kilo, mega, and giga is stupid. I won't call your
> opinions stupid, but I will ask you to stop spouting them as fact. Who
> do you recognize as legitimate authority beyond your own swollen head
> anyway? Perhaps you invented the SI prefixes yourself?

Children please! We could at least put an OT or two to warn unsuspecting
patrons that this had turned into a slanging match...

> I think that both "cat" and "mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/vobs"
> are usually unnecessary. I usually just use "mplayer dvd://${title}
> -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob", followed by "mencoder movie.vob ...".
> I guess some people might still be stuck with a 2GiB file size limit?

Thank you to all -  there are certainly many issues to consider, though I fear
I will be using the -endpos option which was suggested. I saw it but didn't
know whether it was possible with the cat command. I was going to investigate
but see now i needn't. I will take the advice on the -dumpstream, cheers.

> I find this acceptible because IMDB is more convenient
> for getting credits than the end of the movie anyway. It may not be for
> someone without a persistent Internet connection or for very obscure movies.

IMDB I assume is an internet database that gives the same information as the
normal credits do? I always knew that I could find the info if I looked for
even 10 mins. The fact that I have never wanted to just reaffirms my opinion
on the matter.

cheers
antonovich

ps. As someone who is only recent into the world of computers (2 years ago I
could scarcely use Word, hence my bunny questions...), I can vouch for the
fact that it is senseless and stupid to have symbols meaning different things
in different contexts. It needlessly obfuscates and, given what NASA (who are
supposed to be bright) have shown they can do when they assume inches are
being used instead of cm.s..., I think a strong case is made for having clear
and distinct symbols!
The point of "science" is to enlighten, after all.