[MPlayer-users] Re: [Fwd: gmplayer 0.9-1]

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 28 06:10:52 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 19:01, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > I installed a GUI version of mplayer (from the APC cover CD for August
> > 2003) and cannot get it to play properly. I am testing it on a promo DVD
> > for Harry Potter.
> >

> You're probably going to have to give more information, like the precise
> version of mplayer.
>
> > There were three rpms to install, mplayer-common-*, mplayer.gui-* and
> > mplayer.skin.*. The install of them all at once, as root, went without
> > any errors being notified.
> >
> > I adjusted the CD preferences Preferences->CD Properties->DVD Run
> > Command which I ticked and then altered to /usr/bin/gmplayer dvd:%d
> > which apart from /usr/bin/gmplayer is the same as the entry that was
> > already there.
> >

> I can only assume you're referring to some desktop environment, like KDE
> or GNOME. I use Gnome 2 and I haven't seen such settings, but I mostly
> use the command line anyway.
>
> > When I insert the promo DVD mplayer starts up then gives the following
> > error: File not found: /home/graeme/dvd:dev/cdrom. If I remove the
> > 'dvd:' from the run command the behaviour is somewhat different. all
> > appears to be starting up OK but the about 4 errors flash up with the
> > last one as follows: dmux:File doesn't contain the selected audio or
> > video stream. I think at least one of the other errors is: error
> > opening/initialising the selected video_out (vo) device. If I then
> > remove the %d from the command leaving only the /usr/bin/gmplayer
> > command then mplayer opens but doesn't try to play anything.
> >

> The command to play the first title of a DVD is either "gmplayer -dvd 1"
> or "gmplayer dvd://1", depending on the version of mplayer. Make sure
> you have a device node called "/dev/dvd" that is (or is a link to) your
> DVD-ROM drive. Read the manpage or the HTML documentation in the link at
> the bottom of this message.
>
> > The DVD contains two directories, audio_ts and video_ts. audio_ts is an
> > empty directory and video_ts contains files like video_ts.bup, *.ifo and
> > *.vop. There are no files in the root directory of the DVD.
> >

> Sounds like a pretty standard DVD-Video.
>
> > How do I set up the video_out device? What else have I failed to
> > configure correctly? and why is it looking in /home/graeme/dvd for the
> > video file? Is dvd the video_out device? There is no dvd device in /dev
>
> Depending on your video hardware and X driver, you may have to
> experiment with MPlayer's video out drivers. You'll have to read the
> manuals or give more detail. If you are uncomfortable with reading
> manpages or using the command line, you may find Xine more friendly. I
> hope recommending it here isn't sacrilegious, but it is more newbie
> friendly, though somewhat less flexible than MPlayer.

Hello Jonathan, I now have gmplayer actually playing the movie but I
have been unsuccessful in getting the sound to work. I have tried the
suggestions in the FAQ but with no success. I must admit to not being
very good with sound. The DVD player plays CDs with no problem under
Gnome 2 (I'm running RH8) so the sound card (Creative Vibra 128) works
fine. What am I missing here?

The other funny thing about playing this particular DVD (A Harry Potter
promotional DVD) with the command line gmplayer dvd://1 is that it plays
through to the beginning of the menu that starts to come up then stops.
If I use the command gmplayer dvd://2 it starts to play the next title
(or chapter or something) If I play it on Win Me using Cyberlink
PowerDVD it plays up to the menu and allows me to select from the menu.
Is there a command line switch or something that I need to set to get it
to play all the titles/chapters in sequence?

I have attached the output of the above command (which I redirected to a
file) that may give you some pointers about the sound problem etc.

Thank you for your assistance.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

	There was a mad scientist (a mad... social... scientist) who kidnapped
three colleagues, an engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician, and
locked
each of them in seperate cells with plenty of canned food and water but
no
can opener.
	A month later, returning, the mad scientist went to the engineer's
cell and found it long empty.  The engineer had constructed a can opener
from
pocket trash, used aluminum shavings and dried sugar to make an
explosive,
and escaped.
	The physicist had worked out the angle necessary to knock the lids
off the tin cans by throwing them against the wall.  She was developing
a good
pitching arm and a new quantum theory.
	The mathematician had stacked the unopened cans into a surprising
solution to the kissing problem; his dessicated corpse was propped
calmly
against a wall, and this was inscribed on the floor:
	Theorem: If I can't open these cans, I'll die.
	Proof: assume the opposite...

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only.                                                              -
- If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee       -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- is not authourised.                                                -