[MPlayer-users] Re: [Fwd: gmplayer 0.9-1]

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Aug 28 08:31:14 CEST 2003

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> I received the error that menu is not compiled in. You will notice a
> message right at the top of the mplayer.log file I attached ercommending
> to recompile with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
>
> I am trying to keep my system with only rpm binaries installed. Is there
> an rpm available with menu and --disable-runtime-cpudetection compiled
> in? Or will I have to compile myself to achieve that?

I'm not really sure what's in the RPMs, since I've been compiling CVS
MPlayer for quite a while now. You might try the official ones from
mplayerhq.hu. I doubt you need to be concerned about
"--disable-runtime-cpudetection" unless your machine can't keep up.
Binary packages are likely to rely on runtime CPU detection, since
they're expected to run on a variety of machines. If you're extremely
concerned about performance, you'd better compile from source,
preferably from CVS.

The -menu option enables the OSD (on screen display) of MPlayer options.
I don't think it has anything to do with DVD menus. Again, if you want
DVD menu navigation, try Xine, Ogle or VLC. If you just want to play
movies without spending too much time understanding the player, Xine may
be a better choice anyway. MPlayer's strength is flexibility in control
and its ability to play almost any kind of media. Xine's GUI is
currently more user friendly than MPlayer's. I tend to use Xine for DVD
navigation and MPlayer for everything else, including playing the main
feature on a DVD.

> Thank you for your help. I hope I am not being too much of a nuisance.

Don't worry about it. I've received much help and insight on this list
and I enjoy helping out. Once you've solved your problems, you can
probably pass your insight on to others with similar problems.

Jonathan Rogers