[MPlayer-users] Skipping frame with mencoder

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Thu Aug 28 17:20:56 CEST 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 15:15, Joonas Koivunen wrote:

> On Thursday 28 August 2003 18:02, Fabio Papa wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > The number of skipped frames may vary from dvd to dvd, but for one dvd it
> > is always the same.
> > What's the best way to handle this situation?
>
> You don't need to handle at all. If it doesn't result in massive a-v
> missync, if that happens you handle it on this mailinglist, or with your
> favourite editor plus mencoder sources :)
>
> Those are skipped because there were errors (fucked up frames or something
> like that.. afaik). Same happens with audio doesn't it? A 1/25 second
> missync added to normal lag isn't audible, I hope. But if there are say 25
> frames getting skipped, then it might have some impact.. Though, I haven't
> ever seen or read about such happening.
What's strange here though is that this same skipping happens also at the
start of every chapter, if you specify -chapter xx, so you don't start from
the ... start! But if you start from the beginning, at the start of the same
chapter there are no skips. Could it be some problems mencoder has when
starting to read VOBs? I assume I'm extremely picky, because 2 or 3 frames
causes a sufficient desync for me to detect it, especially in original
language, so I would be very keen to correct it.
Thanks again!