[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer audio from TV line???

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 06:19:34 CEST 2003

rcooley wrote:
>> The man page on mplayer says immediatemode is default 1, video capture
>> only
>> with loopback cable for sound, but then when I try to set
>> immediatemode to 0,
>> the option doesn't exist for mplayer.
>

> What do you mean the option doesn't exist?  Sounds like you are
> specifying it wrong, somehow.

I think he's trying to read audio from the capture device of his TV card
(/dev/dsp1) and play it back on his sound card (/dev/dsp). As I said,
mplayer doesn't do that, but sox can. I don't know how reliable that
method will be.

I've been trying to do the exact same thing on my system. I use ALSA, so
I was using ecasound instead of sox. It works great for a few minutes.
Then, at a random time after starting the transfer, my machine becomes
very unresponsive. If I don't kill ecasound immediately, the box freezes
and I have to hit reset. I suspected there may be problems resulting
from timing or frequency skew between the two sound devices, but I don't
know why it kills my box.

Jonathan Rogers